Leighton McIntosh, known as ‘Geckor’ is a Scottish visual artist, designer and animator. As a child, Leighton always carried a strong passion for sketching and painting, particularly drawing inspiration from iconic cartoons. Fast forward the years and that passion has spiralled into the forms of acrylic painting, graphic design and animation.
Through the use of particular colour schemes and imagery; a sense of fun, positivity and nostalgia are portrayed within Geckor’s compositions. These compositions play with techniques of geometric abstraction, distortion and transparency which can result in either abstract or subtly sophisticated original paintings. Within Geckor’s earlier works, his ‘spiralled eyes’ were originally used to communicate the sense of being abstracted or bemused; this has now evolved into the signature detail of his imagery and characters.
Geckor’s work has progressed into consistently razor-clean interpretations of original and renowned animated icons. His imagery is an attempt to communicate specific feelings and narratives that can positively influence someone’s zeal towards their passion in life. These interpretations also explore the narrative of an optimistic psyche through the use of character personality, animation and the deconstruction or reconstruction of particular features within the artwork.
– Brave Sunset – Wasps Artists Studios, Dundee, Scotland
– Mashers & Bang! – Jungle Collective, Dundee, Scotland
– Fear No Evil – Casterline Goodman Gallery, Aspen
– Loonz – Benjamin Barker, Perth, Scotland
– Dayzd – Cartocon, Dundee, Scotland
– GINZA COLLECTOR’S CLUB Group Show – Ginza Tsutaya Bookstore, Japan
– JART IS… Exhibition – What Cafe Tokyo, Japan
– Juya Gaze – Generator Projects Gallery, Dundee, Scotland